Location: Brechin, Angus, Scotland.
Built: c. 16th century.
Ownership / Access: Private.
Notes: Aldbar Castle, or Auldbar Castle, was a 16th-century tower house, located 2 miles (3.2 km) southwest of Brechin, in Angus, Scotland. It was demolished after a fire in 1965. The estate was owned by the Crammond family since the 13th century before it was sold to John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis (c. 1544 - 1575) in 1575. His son Sir Thomas Lyon (died 1608) served as Treasurer of Scotland from 1585 to 1595, and built the castle in the later 16th century. The property was subsequently owned by the Sinclair family, and then the Young family. The Chalmers family owned the estate in the 18th century. The artist Clarkson Stanfield painted the castle in 1801. Patrick Chalmers (1777-1826) enlarged the castle in 1810, and his son Patrick Chalmers (1802-1854) made Baronial-style additions between 1844 and 1854. The castle was demolished in 1964 a victim of the trend to demolish large houses which were now uneconomic to maintain. Only the 19th-century stone gateway remains. A 13th-century grave slab from the castle chapel is held at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.
Aldbar Castle Links:Aldbar Castle On Wikipedia
Scotland's Lost Country Houses
Photos of Aldbar Castle, University of Aberdeen Photographic Archive