Castello della Magione
Location: Poggibonsi, Italy.
Built: 11th century.
Condition: In good condition.
Ownership / Access: --
Notes: Castello della Magione (also Magione di San Giovanni al Ponte or Spedale di San Giovanni in Gerusalemme alla Magione) is a medieval castle in Poggibonsi (province of Siena, central Italy). It is an example of a medieval "Mansio" (residence) that belonged to the Knights Templar. The castle includes the ancient church and the “spedale” (hotel) for the pilgrims in transit to Rome on the Via Francigena. The complex is near the ancient crossing of the Via Francigena over the Staggia River, near the Bonizio bridge, now destroyed.The castle dates from the 11th century. On 5 September 1140, it was donated by Gottifredo di Arnolfo and Arnolfino di Cristofano, heirs of the founders, to the Monks of the Saint Michael Abbey in Poggio Marturi. The monks entrusted it to the Knights of the Temple, becoming one of the numerous "Mansiones" or "Domus Templi" on the Via Francigena. In 1312, as the Order of the Templars was abolished by Pope Clement V, the Magione was given to the Knights Hospitaller. The castle, downgraded to a farm, was bought by several people, among whom were the Princes Corsini. In 1979 it was acquired by Count Marcello Alberto Cristofani della Magione, who donated it to the Militia Templi, which was just being founded, as the Magistral See. After the donation, restoration of the entire complex began. The castle maintains signs of its Romanesque origins, in spite of some changes made during the ensuing centuries.
Castello della Magione Links:Castello della Magione On Wikipedia
Castello della Magione and Militia Templi Website