Location: Cumbria, England.
Built: 15th century
Ownership / Access: Private.
Notes: Arnside Tower is a late-medieval tower house (or Pele tower) between Arnside and Silverdale immediately to the south of Arnside Knott in Cumbria, England. Arnside Tower was built in the second half of the 15th century; tower houses were then often built in the insecure areas of northern England and southern Scotland. Constructed of limestone rubble, the tower was originally five storeys high, measuring 50 feet by 34 feet. The tower was built with an adjacent wing of equal height built onto the side of the tower in a style common in Scotland, but rare in English tower houses. Historian Anthony Emery suggests that the design may have been influenced by that at Ashby de la Zouch Castle, rebuilt in 1464 by Lord Hastings. The tower suffered a serious fire in 1602 but after repairs remained in use until the end of the 17th century. One of the walls of the tower collapsed around 1900, and as of 2010 English Heritage considered the condition of the castle to be poor, and to be at risk of further slow decline. Arnside Tower is a Grade II* listed building.
How To Get To Arnside Tower (Map):
Arnside Tower Links:Arnside Tower On Wikipedia
Arnside Tower. Gatehouse webpage, accessed 22 April 2011