Location: Cumnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland.
Built: c. 1696.
Condition: Substantial ruins.
Ownership / Access: Private.
Notes: Terringzean Castle, also Taringzean, pronounced 'Tringan', is a Category B listed castle ruin lying above the River Lugar and the Terringzean Holm in the policies of Dumfries House, Parish of Cumnock, Scotland. The name Craufordstone or Craufurdstoun, has also been used, echoing that it and these lands originally belonged to the Crawfords, as did Leifnorris or Lochnorris Castle which stood on the site of what is now Dumfries House.The knoll on which Terringzean Castle stands was covered with hawthorn trees in the 1890s. The spelling of the castle site has many variations, such as 'Trarizeane', 'Trarinyean', 'Terrinzeane', 'Terringane', 'Trarynyane', 'Terrynyene', 'Torrinzeane', etc.
Terringzean Castle Links:Terringzean Castle On Wikipedia