Carreg Cennen Castle
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Ownership / Access: Privately owned by Margaret and Bernard Llewellyn.
Opening Times: Open daily from 9.30am to 6.30pm between April and October and 9.30 to 4pm between November and March (closed Christmas Day).
Price of Admission: Check their website for more info.
Notes: Carreg Cennen Castle (Welsh: Castell Carreg Cennen meaning castle (on the) rock (above the) Cennen) is a castle near the River Cennen, in the village of Trapp, four miles south of Llandeilo in Carmarthenshire, Wales. The castle is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, and its location has been described as spectacular, due to its position above a limestone precipice. It has been in a ruinous state since 1462 and is now in the care of Cadw, the Welsh Assembly historic environment service, and is open daily from 9.30am to 6.30pm between April and October and 9.30 to 4pm between November and March (closed Christmas Day). Ownership of the castle passed to the Vaughan and Cawdor families, and from the 18th century it started to attract artists (Turner sketched the castle in 1798). The second Earl Cawdor began an extensive renovation in the 19th century, and in 1932 Carreg Cennen was given to the guardianship of the Office of Works. In the 1960s Carreg Cennen Castle was acquired by the Morris family of Castell Farm, when Lord Cawdor's legal team inadvertently made a mistake in the wording of the deeds and included the castle as part of the farm. Today, the castle remains privately owned by Margaret and Bernard Llewellyn, daughter and son in law of the late Mr. Gwilim Morris. The castle is now maintained by Cadw.
How To Get To Carreg Cennen Castle (Map):
Carreg Cennen Castle Links:Carreg Cennen Castle On Wikipedia
Cadw website page for Carreg Cennen Accessed 9 March 2014