Location: Mugdock, Strathblane, Scotland.
Built: 14th century.
Ownership / Access: Stirling Council.
Notes: Mugdock Castle was the stronghold of the Clan Graham from the middle of the 13th century. Its ruins are located in Mugdock Country Park, just west of the village of Mugdock in the parish of Strathblane. The castle is within the registration county of Stirlingshire, although it is only 2 km north of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, on the northern outskirts of Greater Glasgow. The lands of Mugdock were a property of the Grahams from the mid-13th century, when David de Graham of Dundaff acquired them from the Earl of Lennox. It is possible that his descendant, Sir David de Graham (d. 1396) built the castle. It was certainly standing by August 1372, when a contemporary document was signed there. In 1458, the lands were erected into the Barony of Mugdock. Later, in 1505, the Grahams were created Earls of Montrose. The most famous of the Montrose Grahams, James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose, may have been born at Mugdock Castle in 1612. During the Bishops Wars, a prelude to the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, Montrose briefly supported the Covenanters. Montrose was imprisoned in Edinburgh in 1641, for intrigues against Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquess of Argyll, who was to become his arch-enemy. While Montrose was in prison, Lord Sinclair sacked Mugdock. Montrose returned there, however, until 1644 when he began his Royalist revolt, becoming the King's commander in Scotland. Mugdock was sacked again that year. Following the defeat of Charles I, Montrose was executed in 1650, and the lands were forfeited to the Marquess of Argyll. In 1661 Argyll too was executed, and Mugdock was returned to the Grahams, who restored the castle over a two-year period, building a mansion within the old castle walls. In 1682 the Grahams bought Buchanan Old House near Drymen, a dwelling more fitting the title of "Marquess". The family's official seat was kept at Mugdock Castle for a some time. A terraced walled garden, incorporating a summer house, was built to the east of the castle in the 1820s. In 1875, the 17th-century mansion was demolished, and a Scottish baronial style house was built in the ruins of the old castle. It was designed by architect James Sellers working under Campbell Douglas for local historian and antiquarian James Guthrie Smith. Much of the eastern part of the original castle was destroyed in the process. In 1945, Hugh Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of Allander, owner of the large retail chain now known as House of Fraser, purchased Mugdock Castle from the Duke of Montrose. He died in 1966 at Mugdock Castle. During World War II the house was requisitioned for use by the government, but by 1948 was empty. It was demolished in 1967, although foundations and walls remain. In 1981 the castle and grounds were donated by its then owner to Central Regional Council. The lands now form part of Mugdock Country Park, and the ruins are publicly accessible. The remaining tower has been renovated as a museum. The castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Category A listed building.
How To Get To Mugdock Castle (Map):
Mugdock Castle Links:Mugdock Castle On Wikipedia
Clan Graham Society