Location: Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.
Ownership / Access: --
Opening times: Check their website for more info.
Price of admission: Check their website for more info.
Notes: Newmore Castle is situated just north of the town of Alness in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland. The castle is now a ruin. It was once a three-storey building; however, it has now been reduced to a single-storey building with a barrel-vaulted roof remaining. There is also the lower remains of a stair turret which once led to the upper floors, giving access to what was formerly a first-floor hall. The ground floor entrance, protected by gun ports, also still remains. The castle is mentioned in records from as early as 1560 and it also gave safe keeping to the 'evidents and writs' of Foulis. The castle is mentioned as belonging to Andrew Munro, 5th of Milntown who was known as Andrew Munro of Newmore during his father's lifetime. Later during the 17th century another line of the Munro family owned the castle. The most famous owner of the castle was George Munro, 1st of Newmore, brother to Sir Robert Munro, 3rd Baronet of Foulis the chief of the Clan Munro. George Munro commanded the forces of King Charles II after the restoration of the Stuart monarchy in Great Britain. When public duties allowed, George Munro received visitors at the castle with a 'coarse but cordial' soldier's entertainment. Newmore Castle remained with this line of the Munro family for several generations before passing to the Munro of Culrain line in 1763. It fell into disrepair during the 19th century.
Newmore Castle Links:Newmore Castle On Wikipedia
Newmore Castle - Stravaiging.com