Location: Leningrad Oblast, Russia.
Built: 1323-18th century.
Ownership / Access: --
Notes: A wooden fortress named Oreshek or Orekhov was built by Grand Prince Yury of Moscow (in his capacity as Prince of Novgorod) on behalf of the Novgorod Republic in 1323. It guarded the northern approaches to Novgorod and access to the Baltic Sea. The fortress is situated on Orekhovets Island, whose name, refers to nuts in Swedish, as well as in Finnish and Russian languages.
Oreshek Fortress Links:Oreshek Fortress On Wikipedia